Sunday, September 27, 2009

My new favorite camera



I've been in the market for an additional camera body for the past few months, but was doing my homework before I decided on which one to get. For the past few years I have been using Canon digital bodies, but have been intrigued by Nikon's D700. I still have all of my Nikon lenses, so going with the D700 wouldn't cause any problems. In talking to several other photographers and looking at samples of photos from the camera, I was impressed by the D700's performance in low light. And because I shoot a lot of high school sports in bad gyms and at dark football fields made me think this might be the right choice.

I ordered the camera last Monday, it arrived on Wednesday. I spent the next couple of days getting used to the controls and doing some test shots. But what I was really waiting for was Friday and a chance to shoot it at a high school football game.

The lighting at the football field at West Grand High School in Kremmling isn't great--with my Canon 1D Mark IIN I could get an exposure of 1/250 @ 2.8, 1600 ISO, but there was also a lot of noise. As you can see in the image above, I was able get an exposure that could stop the action and even shooting at an ISO of 5000, the noise was more of what I was seeing with my other cameras at 800 ISO--if even that much. Getting images like this, under the lighting conditions I was up against, was beyond what I could imagine before last week. What a great tool to have in my arsenal.

goo, goo g'joob
t- 138

No comments: