Monday, September 14, 2009

Contest time



Fall is probably my favorite time of year. Cool nights, warm days, the changing of the aspen. It also means the entry deadline for the Colorado Press Association awards is here. I usually spend a few hours each day for several days going through the papers from the past year looking for my best work in the four designated photo categories: news, feature, sports and essay. I try to find from five to a dozen possibilities in each category, which will then be whittled down to the three entries allowed for each category.

Then the fun begins.

I am usually able to find two solid entries for each category, but then it gets tough to select the third entry. I have co-workers take a look. I go away for a while, then come back and look at them again. This tends to go on for a couple of days until the deadline approaches and I just pick one and say, "this will have to do."

The process does give me a chance to review my work from the prior year and see how I did. I see images I could have done better, images I shouldn't have taken at all and ones that are very satisfying. Images that generated good feedback from either my editors, friends or the community. It's a process that makes me realize I am very fortunate to be doing what I do, where I do.

goo, goo g'joob

No comments: