Friday, October 15, 2010

Another feature photo hunt

I was in need of multiple "wild art" (as we sometimes call it in the biz) photos for Friday's paper.  I was hoping for another foggy, frosty morning as we had had the day before, but, of course, when I looked outside I saw sunny, blue sky.

As I headed out to begin my hunt for feature photos I was a little concerned that this was going to be a difficult task.  I stopped to shoot some cattle grazing south of town just so I had something.  Then as I looked to the north, I saw that there was indeed fog hanging over Lake Granby.

I quickly made my way to the reservoir and drove along the south shore where the fog seemed to be the thickest.  I was starting to see several possibilities when I spotted a fisherman trolling along the shore in his boat.  Things were looking up.  I shot several frames of him that I thought were going to be exactly what I needed when I saw two mergansers perched on a rock.


I shot several frames of them and then one of the birds slipped into the water.  I kept my lens trained on him and I must have somehow spooked him, because all of a sudden, he decided to take off.


This is one of those moments where you hope you can maintain focus on the subject and the other camera settings are correct.  It is also an image that I had been hoping to capture for quite a while.  Page 1 photo done.

goo, goo g'joob

No comments: