Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My favorite photos of 2009 and what's in store for 2010




A year ago I had no idea what 2009 would hold.  Our paper had just layed off eight employees, shut down our in-house press.  I was due for knee surgery at the end of January.  A few months into the new year and we would reduce our publication schedule from five days a week to three, and reduce our staff size ever further.  Despite all of these changes, the remaining staff persevered to produce a quality product.

During the course of the year I always seem to question how good of a job I am doing--assignments I could have done better with, if I just would have looked for a different angle, used a different lens, etc.  With the end of the year closing in, I decided to pull together my favorite images from the past year.  As I looked through hundreds of photos, I realized I had a really good year.  I found photos that made me smile, either because of the moment they captured or the experience I had in capturing them.  To view the slideshow of my favorite Sky-Hi Daily News images from 2009, click here.

Now I ask the same question I asked myself a year ago, "What does the next year hold in store?"  I already know of several things I have to look forward to.  My son, Erik, has decided to enlist in the Army and leaves for basic training in two weeks.  The journalist in me wants to go along and document his journey, but I know I can't.  A few weeks after that I leave for three weeks in Canada at the Winter Olympics.  When I return, not only will I be returning to work at the newspaper, it will be time to start coaching girls soccer again.  Later in the spring I hope to travel to Georgia to witness Erik's graduation from basic training.  In the summer I am looking forward to my 30th high school reunion.  That's just half of the year and mixed in with all of these experiences I will be attempting to capture meaningful moments around Grand County for the newspaper.  Join me for the ride.

goo, goo g'joob

No comments: