Thursday, September 25, 2008

One year +

I'm a month late in celebrating my one year anniversary of working for the Sky-Hi Daily News. But I guess that's okay, because my boss just did my annual review today, so I'm not the only one late in marking the occasion.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity that I've had to work for the newspaper. In these times when many newspapers are laying off staff or even folding, I'm thankful for this job and the support I receive from my editor and the rest of the editorial staff. Working for a small community paper does have its advantages and there are also a few disadvantages. We just finished putting together our entries for the state press association contest and I was hard-pressed to find any strong news images from the last year. I had plenty of feature and sports photos to choose from. I guess that will be a challenge for myself in the next year--to produce more news photos.

One other thing I want to do in the next is make this blog more interesting. I think I said that a while back, but I'm now to the point where I like the title and I feel I have a better vision of what I want it to be, so that anyone who actually reads it will have a reason to keep coming back.

So I'll be anxious to see what the next year holds in store for my community, the nation and the world, and what we will be talking about a year from now.

goo goo g'joob

2 comments:

Kristen Lodge said...

I have an idea for you. When I see your slideshow photos, I often wonder what the photographer sees in that shot before and after. For example, what is it about the shot that is so intriguing to you? And after you take the picture (and perhaps change it around a bit) what is your feeling about the picture. Does it remind you of something or make you hopeful for something. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I wonder what those thousand words would be, some time.

My .02 - Kristen

Byron Hetzler said...

Great idea Kristen! I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.