Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My second book

Ever since I published my first book "Grand County Visions" way back in 2000, I have had numerous people ask me when I was going to do another book.  As much as I enjoyed seeing my work in print and receiving all of the wonderful feedback, there was a lot of time and money, energy and money, and work and money that went into getting that book into print.  Did I mention money?  Not to mention dealing with distribution and marketing.  I had several ideas floating around in my mind, but didn't know if they would be financially viable.

Today the world of book publishing looks totally different.  There are so many options now that don't require a huge investment of money up front.  A few years ago I came across an on-line publisher called blurb.com.  The offered a variety of printing options (sizes, layout templates, paper choices) and you could print one copy or thousands of copies.  But one of the best features is you could direct potential customers to the web site where they could order your book and it would be printed on demand.  I had seen several photographers I know use blurb.com to produce wedding albums and was slightly surprised by how good they looked, but was excited to have found an option to get another book published.

Then it became a matter of determining the subject.  I went around and around trying to come up with the right idea.  It actually took me several years to get this figured out.  But one Saturday morning back in November I sat down at the computer and said to myself, "it's time to get this done and you aren't getting up from the computer until this book is done."  I finally decided to do a book with some of my favorite Instagrams from the past couple of years.  About three hours later, I had the bulk of the photos selected and laid out the way I wanted.  I did some tweaking over the next couple of days and then ordered several copies for myself.  About a week later the books showed up and I was blown away.  I was thrilled with the results.

Here is a preview of my book...
(if it doesn't load properly for some reason, here is a direct link: http://blur.by/1eZIi9f)


 
Now what to do for my next book...

goo, goo g'joob


No comments: